SEEK Learning - Role Pages project
(2019)

Project team:
1x UX Lead
1x UX designer (myself)
1x UX researcher
1x Visual Designer

My roles:
▶ UX Design
▶ UX Research Moderation



Overview
The SEEK Learning website allows users to search through almost 2000 courses from providers across Australia in order to skill up for the job they want. While the search method is effective for users who know what course they were looking for, we hypothesised that a large portion of our users had a career goal in mind but had no idea of how to get there.

So we got to work to trial a new type of course discovery page that would let users find a course based on the job they want.



Planning
We got the whole team involved and took our time to carefully plan out what our goals were, what opportunities we hadn’t considered and what risks were involved. After doing the thinking upfront we laid out a plan, and started roughing out how a page like this could work to help users find the right course for the job they want.




Wireframing
Based on the requirements from our planning session, I started exploring some ideas through wireframes. I iterated on a series of ideas with different amounts of detail until we landed on a concept that we were happy to move forward with.




Internal research (early validation)
This was a very different concept to the rest of the user flow, so we wanted to do a sanity check of the concept before we committed to full user testing. So we mocked up a simple prototype and performed some user short testing sessions with staff around the office who were interested in studying a course soon. The sessions went well, and while they gave us confidence to move forward with full research we also gained some valuable feedback that would influence our next prototype.




External research
We built a new prototype to prepare for user research, but this time designed it for mobile devices. We ran the session with 5 participants and while getting some good feedback the responses were all positive.




Iterating on the designs
We took the feedback from the user sessions and applied them to the mobile and desktop versions of the design. We worked with our visual designer and the content team to tighten up our wireframe designs and make sure they were giving the best advice for users wanting to get a course for a particular role.




Outcomes and learnings

Overall the project went very smoothly, we did the thinking up front and encountered no major hiccups from the research sessions. As to our plan we built out a handful of pages based on specific roles, we then watched the metrics on these pages to get a better quantitative view of how users feel about the new approach.

Results showed that users were loving the pages, and getting to the right courses for them better than any other part of the site. With this great news we began scaling up the pages to other roles, and this success helped shine light on a new role-first approach to helping users on the site.

Personally I was very happy with this project as well, taking everything I had learned in previous UX work to see this project from end to end is very satisfying.